I am alway looking for a new snack recipe. Personally, I love to bake! I haven’t been able to for while though because of not being able to eat salicylates. Even when I could eat salicylates, I had to be careful about the amount of sugar I was eating because too much (one piece of fruit or a tablespoon of honey) would cause my cystic acne to flare up. As I have begun to reintroduce foods, I still have to be creative about ways to “bake” because I don’t eat eggs. This recipe is a great snack and it is easy pack. It can also be a heathy dessert because of how sweet it is.
- 1 cup thawed strawberries
- 2 cups shredded apples
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil*
- 1 T. honey* (optional)
- Food Processor
- Thaw the strawberries.
- Melt the coconut oil.
- Peel and shred the apples.
- Place all the ingredients but the coconut oil into the food processor.
- Pour the coconut oil over the shredded coconut. The coconut will harden if in contact with the apples or strawberries too long without being mixed together.
- Mix all the ingredients together until all fruit chunks are gone. The flakes from the shredded coconut will still be there which is fine.
- Spread evenly on to a dehydrator pan, approximately 1/4 inch thick.
- Dehydrate at 135°F for 4 to 5 hours. It is done when it is hard enough to hold together but not be brittle.
- Cut into square portions and store in the refrigerator.
My friend, Mariah, recently took new pictures for this recipe and she did an amazing job! Check out her website to see more of her fantastic photography or like her Facebook page for new images almost every day.
* Affiliate link